Starting Fresh 0
We all make resolutions in the New Year. Typically they are all about self-improvement, things about ourselves we wish to change. Whether you want to start exercising daily, start eating a healthier diet, spend more time with family, or start a creative project you’ve been putting off, they all have one thing in common. You! The first step towards becoming the best version of you is putting yourself in the right mindset to do so.
Step 1: Get focused!
We all have moments when our clarity becomes fuzzy. We have so much we want to do that we don’t even know where to begin to accomplish our goals. Part of being focused is about understanding yourself and your needs; one of the best ways to discover that about yourself is to simply spend time with yourself. Let’s be clear, self-care is not selfish. By doing things you enjoy that give you peace, you are opening yourself up to honest thinking and a clearer mind. Self-care can mean many things to many people. Sometimes it is as simple as getting the sleep that you need, and sometimes it means indulging in things that bring you extra comfort like a bubble bath.
Baths cleanse more than just your body, they are cleansing for your mind as well. It’s an inexpensive way to treat yourself and to create an environment for meditation. Try dropping a bath bomb into your tub to soften your skin, and for aroma therapy. Light some candles, put on some soothing music, make a cup of tea, and make it a full sensory, calming experience.
Step 2: Create your sanctuary!
The outside world can be a very taxing experience. Traffic, a hard work day, and many more things can make your day less than pleasant. It is important that when you come home you can leave all that at the door and relax; your home should be your sanctuary. One of our favorite ways to create a peaceful environment is to utilize essential oils. Dropping some essential oils in a diffuser allows you to customize your environment to be exactly what you need. Try something citrusy for energy, eucalyptus to help with congestion, or lavender for better sleep or to simply relax. You’ll be amazed at what these can do for your mood, and can make your daily tasks seem more pleasant.
Another way to help you piece together your ultimate getaway is to replace standard items with a little luxury. Like replacing your generic hand soaps by your sink with the good stuff, getting rugs that are soft on your feet, or putting up art you love. These are all comforting ways to help make your house a home.
Step 3: Use your new clarity, and go get em!
Taking some of these steps towards giving yourself a clearer head will help you achieve your goals for this new, bright year. Make a list of goals you have, and then create ways to make them tangible, obtainable, and positive. For instance, instead of saying “I want to be a size 0 in 2018,” try saying instead, “I want to be my healthiest self, whatever size that may be. So I will pay attention to eating less processed foods and find an exercise I enjoy doing.” Or instead of writing, “I want to find a way to help my community,” you could resolve to shop at small businesses when possible where your dollars are supporting family owned companies. Breaking down your resolutions into smaller steps is one of the best ways you can create a path for successfully becoming your best you!
- Elijah Cordova
How to Customize Your SALUS 0
Brewing up magic in the mountains of Colorado, Salus is concocting potions of their own. Toil and trouble is our middle name, and we love coming up with beautiful scent combinations for ourselves and to share with our wonderful guests. Just ask any Salus employee what their favorite scent is and they will have a definite and well thought out opinion. So I did just that! I spent some time in the Downtown Fort Collins location asking the soap makers to dish about their go-to blends.
There are about 99 Salus fragrance and essential oils to choose from. Whether you like earthy scents like frankincense, sweet notes like chocolate, florals, fresh fragrances, or anything in between, Salus has you covered. Plus, so many of the products you can buy have the ability to be custom scented. So now your shampoo, your skin products, and even your bedroom can smell exactly as you always dreamed.
I asked Suds Team member Rachel Delker what her favorite scents were, and she had some great ideas. “Well obviously dirt mixed with herb garden in a fragrance mist for my yoga mat, or just for my diffuser,” she quickly responded, “I also love coconut and vanilla right now, it’s in my lotion. It takes me to a beach!” While Bri, chooses instead to mix the coconut scent with sandalwood bourbon. I love the idea of using the power of scent to transport yourself to a refreshing oasis. Using our fragrance mists as a way to quickly and easily create a Zen space for yoga practice, your morning meditation, or to infuse your skincare with scents that bring you peaceful memories are fantastic ways to use our oils.
Our brightly colored haired and in house fragrance mix master Miriam had very in depth ideas on the topic. Her favorite scent categories are earthy, musky, floral, sweet, and citrus. Trust me when I say her scent concoction are always magical and unexpected, she utilizes her wide scent palate to whip up scents that are completely unique. She combines the tropical floral of gardenia with the zingy scent of pink grapefruit for her scrubs – now that sounds seriously refreshing. When it comes to lotion, Miriam mixes up a potion of oakmoss, lavender, and neroli into our goat milk lotion that is sure to be a beautiful earthy scent. Want some more ideas that would go well in just about anything? Try some of her other favorites, “I like frankincense and myrrh with vanilla bourbon. I also like leather mixed with just a smidge of lime.” Miriam shows just how creative you can get with Salus products to create something that is absolutely perfect for you.
Sometimes you are looking to use essential oils and fragrance oils for the benefits they come with beyond just the wonderful scents. Danielle, our Fort Collins store manager shared she loves mixing up tea tree, spearmint, and peppermint into her shampoo because it feels so refreshing and provides an invigorating sensation for your scalp. From all the lotions we offer, the hemp lotion is her personal favorite, she loves adding lavender and tea tree into her bottle because the two oils together are soothing for the skin.
Our oils are good for more than just pretty scents; some combinations used in diffusers offer benefits to your wellbeing. For example, one of our happy customers mixed up our germ buster essential oil with some orange and cinnamon to use in a diffuser to keep her house healthy during the cold season. There are many online sources that describe what each essential oil does for you and the best combinations of them. What will you try next?
I love that no matter who you asked; everyone had a thousand ideas of scent combinations, every Suds Team member really knows their stuff when it comes to fragrance. Hopefully now you have new ideas to spice up your favorite Salus products, and that you feel inspired to create your own concoctions!
- Elissa Klaver
Put Your Best Face Forward 0
Let's get real about your facial care.
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, and can be used as an indicator of your internal health and the impacts of your daily lifestyle choices. While there are many things you can do to promote good skin from the inside, taking care of your skin externally with a quality skincare routine is also just as important. Today we will look at the most noteworthy steps of a daily skin routine and the Salus products you can use based on your skin’s needs.
Let’s start with cleanser.
This is your first topical step towards good skin as it removes impurities such as dirt, excess oil, pollutants, and more. Washing your face helps you to unclog your pores, allows your skin to breathe, and aids in keeping issues like acne in check. The typical types of skin are dry, sensitive, oily, normal, combination dry, combination oily, or acneic. Depending on your skin type, you should seek out a cleanser that works for you.
- Our Organic Aloe and Green Tea Cleanser is formulated for dry, combination, normal, and sensitive skin types. Green tea has been shown to do wondrous things for the body, packed with things like antioxidants that help fight free radicals, and when used for the skin, green tea has shown to help fight against cancerous skin changes and inflammation. Aloe has also shown to be helpful in reducing acne redness, soothing skin, and minimizing acne scarring over time.
- Our Skin Perfecting Cleanser is a product that works for normal, combination, sensitive, and acneic skin types. One important ingredient in this cleanser is activated charcoal; this filters the skin by using electrical attraction to draw out chemicals and toxins. Along with the charcoal, we have included Alpha Hydroxy Acid to act as a gentle, natural chemical exfoliant that aids in treating acne and other skin issues.
- Our Hydrate and Firm Facial toner is a great option for those with sensitive to combination skin, containing refreshing ingredients like aloe, and rosewater, along with DMAE which is an ingredient that can tone and tighten the skin.
- The Skin Perfecting Toner is formulated for all skin types using ingredients to help rid your skin of acne causing bacteria. This toner has been blended with Alpha Hydroxy Acids from apples, citrus fruits, grape wine, sugar cane and dairy, along with aloe and witch hazel.
- The Antioxidant Facial Cream offered at Salus is a fantastic option for those who are dealing with dryer skin and issues such as aging. The antioxidants in this product help fight against aging and provide deep moisture with ingredients like avocado oil, jojoba oil, and organic palm oil. It is jam packed with vitamins like vitamin A, C, E and pro-vitamin B5; your skin will never feel smoother.
- Our Skin Perfecting Facial Cream is the perfect final step to follow up the rest of the Skin Perfecting line with. Blended to be suitable for any skin type, anyone can confidently use this moisturizer, especially those who are oily or acne prone. This product is formulated to be complimentary to the rest of the line, and has similar ingredients like Alpha Hydroxy Acids, aloe, green tea, and more that will allow you to finish off your skin routine strong.
Your skincare is an important step in maintaining flawless and healthy skin. Of course other factors like diet and sleep habits have an effect on your skin’s overall appearance, but your skin routine is the icing on the cake.
Hopefully now, you feel more knowledgeable on the topic and can make an educated decision of which Salus products will help you achieve the skin of your dreams.
- Elissa Klaver